HF Communications Training:
HF Communications Training Course description (2 Days)
For decades, HF communications have been an important, in some cases the only, way of providing long-distance communication. HF makes it possible to reach people wherever they may be located, whether in the jungles of Congo, bushes of Australia, or the sands of Sahara.
In this HF Communications Training course, you will learn both the technology and applications of HF communication, both speech and digital uses such as modem utility, browsing, and mailing, to cite a few examples. For anyone involved with long-distance connectivity, understanding HF technology is a must.
We will start the course by learning the essential RF propagation concepts. We will then review the challenges offered by HF communications and how we can go about addressing them. We will place particular emphasis on the antenna technology that makes worldwide connectivity possible.
We will go on to learn about modulation schemes and communications modes, the architecture and design of an HF radio system, and the applications of HF. We will conclude with a comparison of HF with competing technologies and a look at the future of HF. All in all, the HF Communications Training course will provide you with a thorough and practical introduction to HF communications.
- 2 days of HF communications Training with an expert instructor
- HF communications Course Guide
- Certificate of Completion
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- We can adapt this HF Communications course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
- If you are familiar with some aspects of this HF Communications course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
- We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build HF Communications around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
- If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the HF Communications course in a manner understandable to lay audiences.
After completing this HF Communications Training course, attendees will be able to:
- List the key components of an HF system and describe how they fit together
- Explain how radio waves operate in different environments
- Design an HF communications system
- Describe the current markets and applications for HF communications
HF Communications Training – Course Outlines:
- History of HF communications
- Terrestrial wireless communications challenges: Attenuation, reflection, diffraction, scattering, multipath effects, interference
- Electromagnetic spectrum: Bands and uses, regulation
- More about the HF band
- Spectrum issues: Line of Sight (LOS) transmission, path loss, etc
- Electromagnetic field
- Ground and surface waves: What, when
- Direct waves: Direct LOS, Fresnel theory, free space loss, sum operating margin
- Sky waves (Ionosphere)
- Key concepts
- Structure of the Ionosphere: D, E, F1, F2
- Critical frequencies: MUF, LUF
- Propagation effects: Daily, seasonal, geographic, sunspots, interference, weather, solar flares
- Propagation indices: K, Ap, Solar flux, Sunspot number
- Tropospheric waves
- Characteristics: Dimensions, gain (dB), polarization, F/B ratio, VSWR, radiation diagrams, HPB
- Types: Directional, omnidirectional
- Whip, dipole, inverted Vee, Loop, beams
- Practical examples
Modulation and Communication Modes
- Analog: AM, SSB, FM, PM
- Digital: xFSK, xASK, xPSK, xQAM
- AM voice/SSB voice
- FM voice
- Digital: Modems/examples
- Types: Analog, digital, portable, vehicle, nomadic, fixed
- Types: analog, digital, portable, vehicle-mounted, nomadic, fixed
Uses of HF Communications
- Long distance/amateur radio
- Emergency (including disasters) communications
- Maritime uses
- Military applications
Link Budget Calculations
- Basic principles
- Calculation exercise
- Automatic link establishment
- Digital new services
HF Communications Training – Conclusion
- Comparison of satellite and HF communications
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Course recap, Q/A, and Evaluations
Whether you are looking for general information or have a specific question, we want to help!
Request More Information